This is something you can make in advance and keep all week in the fridge, if you don’t eat it all right away. We use it make a quick taco salad for lunch, to top off my 7-layer dip or even for breakfast burritos. The kids love to make mini sandwiches with it. I bet it would be an awesome sloppy joe alternative too! Check out the nutritional benefits of tempeh here .
2 packages of organic, non-GMO, Tempeh (Lightlife is a great option)
1 Medium Onion, chopped3-4 cloves of garlic (we love garlic), crushed and diced
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil or Coconut Oil or 2 Tbsp. Vegetable BrothOrganic Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
1 tsp. Paprika3 tsp. Ground Cumin
2 tsp. Sea Salt2 tsp. Black Pepper (optional
1 14oz BPA free can of organic chopped tomatoes
1. In a small bowl, mix together the taco seasonings, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, paprika, cumin, sea salt and black pepper and set aside.
2. Remove the tempeh from the package in advance and set aside as well.
3. In a large pan over medium high heat and add the 1 tbsp of oil or 2 tbsp of veggie broth.Once the oil or broth is heated add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes just until soft.
4. Add the taco seasoning you set aside to the garlic and onions and cook for another 1-2 minutes. You may need additional veggie broth here to keep everything from sticking.
5. Take the tempeh bars and crumble into the pan. It really should fall apart fairly easily.Turn the heat down to medium low and sauté the tempeh with the garlic, onions and taco season for several minutes just until it begins to turn golden. This is where you will really need the extra veggie broth. There is not a lot of natural moisture in tempeh so add the veggie broth as needed to the pan to prevent sticking.
6. Finally add the can of chopped tomatoes and turn the heat to low. Allow it to cook for about 10-15 minutes until it starts to thicken.There is no need for additional water in this recipe because you will add enough moisture during the cooking process between the vegetable broth and can of tomatoes.
There is no need for additional water in this recipe because you will add enough moisture during the cooking process between the vegetable broth and can of tomatoes. If you do find you need more moisture just add additional vegetable broth until you reach your desired consistency.
Glow Body Health and Wellness